Adelaide United v Sydney FC – A-League

Adelaide United v Sydney FC – A-League Betting Preview and Prediction

Adelaide United v Sydney FC – A-League Betting Preview and Prediction

Adelaide United v Sydney FC – A-League Betting Preview and Prediction

Adelaide United and Sydney FC will lock horns on Friday, October 11 in the opening fixture of A-League for 2019/20 season. The two teams have a long history of competing against each other, with the last term almost putting them head-to-head in the grand finals of A-League. However, it was Adelaide who lost a closely contested semi-finals fixture against Perth Glory, who prevented them from taking a shot at winning their second championship. Hoping to change that this year, Adelaide will be eager to start off their 2019/20 season with a bang, yet they are well aware that won’t be easy against Sydney, who are entering this season as one of the main favourites to go all the way.

 

Adelaide looking start their season with a bang

Adelaide will enter this fixture eager to defeat Sydney, which is something they have failed to do in their last two meetings in January 2019 (2:1) and at the start of March (2:0). Looking back, Sydney FC defeated Adelaide in three out of their last five meetings, with the only two exceptions being a 2:1 win of Adelaide in FFA Cup last year and a 1:1 draw less than two weeks earlier. While we talk about h2h results, we have to take a look at how teams perform at Coopers Stadium and as far as Adelaide is concerned, the record does not look too promising. Out of the last five meetings, Adelaide won only once, drew twice and lost twice, which on its own paints a clear picture which shows Adelaide do not have the easiest time against Sydney FC, who tend to take at least one point when they meet with Adelaide, which they did in 10/11 fixtures against them.

 

Sydney FC struggles during pre-season

Sydney FC will enter 2019/20 season following a gruelling pre-season where they played seven fixtures in preparation for the upcoming season. Looking back, the Sky Blues lost to Kawasaki Frontale (0:4), defeated Dunbar Rovers (6:0), defeated St. George City (3:0), lost to PSG (0:3), defeated Wollongong Wolves (2:0), drew with Manly United (1:1) and most recently produced a stalemate against Newcastle Jets (0:0) at the end of September.

While FC Sydney failed to impress with their results in pre-season, it’s hard to ignore the overall quality this team possesses, especially in the attack. There is no ignoring the fact Sydney are one of the favourites to win the league, and while the road to the A-League summit will be long and hard, Sydney will look to hit the ground running with a win against Adelaide this Friday. And they will surely fancy their chances considering they hold a rather solid record against Adelaide at home as well as in away matches.

 

Previous Fixture between the two sides

Last time out when Adelaide and Sydney met, it was Sydney who walked away victorious with a convincing 2:0 score. Taking a closer look at that fixture, we saw Ghoochannejhad R. opening the scoring for Sydney barely 15 minutes in and while Adelaide did their best to come back, it was ultimately Sydney who scored the second goal in the stoppage time of the last half (90’+4) to make it 2:0. Overall, Sydney had slightly more ball possession (52%) and shot 5/11 on the target. Adelaide on the other side held onto the ball for 48% of the time, with a rather poor 2/14 shooting.

 

Verdict & Prediction

A lot of Sydney’s success will come down to how their star players perform, namely Le Fondre, who scored 18 last season and will look to further improve on that this year. Another player on who Sydney will heavily rely on is Le Fondre’s partner in crime, Kosta Barbarouses, who contributed 15 last term.

While they have not impressed with their scoring towards the end of the pre-season, we are confident they will be ready to prove their worth in the opening fixture of the season. As we all know Le Fondre and Barbarouses are two very aggressive and dominant players, who do not hold back from threatening the opponent’s goal, and if they can find their rhythm on Friday, they will be nearly unstoppable. That being said, we are not blindly trusting Sydney to be aggressive enough against Adelaide, but rather trust them to show the same intensity and vigour they have shown in their clash with PSG. If they can muster up anything like they did against PSG, Sydney’s offence should and will cause a lot of headaches to Adelaide, who we don’t trust have the needed defensive quality to stop the visitors.

Prediction: Sydney FC +0.00 Asian Handicap
Odds: 1.95 SBOBET