Central Coast Mariners v Newcastle Jets – A-League

Central Coast Mariners v Newcastle Jets - A-League Betting Preview and Prediction

Central Coast Mariners v Newcastle Jets - A-League Betting Preview and Prediction

Central Coast Mariners v Newcastle Jets – A-League Betting Preview and Prediction

On Saturday, October 19, we will be served a treat in A-League, with a clash between Central Coast Mariners and Newcastle Jets, also known as F3 Derby, named after the former freeway that connects the cities of Newcastle and Gosford. It will mark the opening fixture of the season for Newcastle Jets and the second match of the season for CCM, who are arriving back at Central Coast Stadium following a 2:1 defeat against WS Wanderers.

 

CCM looking to upset Newcastle Jets

Central Coast Mariners are entering the Saturday’s fixture following a 2:1 defeat against WS Wanderers at Bankwest Stadium. Looking back it was CCM who opened the scoring with a 36′ goal from Djuric, which gave them hope to cause an upset. Unfortunately, WS Wanderers responded with a goal of their own barely five minutes later, when Duke scored his first goal of the season. The two sides entered the second half hungry for a win and it showed with some solid chances from both teams. WS Wanderers were slightly more dangerous in the attack with 4/9 shooting compared to 3/7 for CCM, however, it was CCM who had slightly larger ball possession (43-57). Overall there was close to nothing that would separate the two sides, and it all seemed like the match is going to end with a tie. But it was Duke, who had other plans and scored his second in 82nd minute via a penalty to make it 2:1 for the home side, who can be happy they walked away with all three points.

 

Newcastle Jets looking to start 2019/20 season on the right foot

Newcastle Jets’ first fixture of the season will be a derby clash with Central Coast Mariners, meaning there are two big reasons for Merrick’s side to perform up to par and claim the W. Looking at Jet’s past results, they have edged past Perth Glory (1:2), lost to Adelaide United in mid-September in FFA Cup (1:0) and produced a stalemate against Sydney FC at the end of September (0:0). It’s safe to say Newcastle’s pre-season fixtures produced a mixed bag of results, however, the results we are mostly interested in are the results that came from the meetings between Newcastle Jets and CCM.

When Jets and Mariners last met, the Mariners produced a crazy 3:2 upset win to claim their first win against Jets in almost two years. On that night, it was Murray, Karcam and Pain who were the three heroes for Mariners. For Jets, it was O’Donovan and Vargas who contributed two goals, yet it was not enough to catch up to Mariners. That being said it was a truly shocking result, considering Jets were far superior to Mariners. The home side had 66% ball possession and shot the ball 7/24. Mariners on the other side had 34% ball possession and shot the ball 4/5. All things considered, Jets arguably deserved that win and they will look to avenge their defeat in weekend’s encounter.

 

Verdict & Prediction

Central Coast Mariners will enter this fixture hungry for a win following their painful defeat against WS Wanderers. Looking back at that match there are some arguments to be made Mariners deserved to win, as they played very well and if they can produce anything similar against Newcastle, we could easily imagine them coming out ahead. Expect an exciting derby fixture, which will push the two sides to their limits, however, when push comes to shove, we will trust the home side to come out on top here. They showed quality and determination against Wanderers, which is a reason enough for us to believe they have what it takes to defeat Jets this weekend.

 

Prediction: CCM +0.00 Asian Handicap
Odds: 2.49 Asianodds