Melbourne City v Perth Glory – A-League Betting Preview and Prediction
Melbourne City and Perth Glory will lock horns this Friday, December 6, at AAMI Park in their first meeting of the season. This bout, as always promises to bring out the best out of both sides, who will be desperate for points, each due to their own reasons.
Melbourne City’s fall from grace
Melbourne City are entering round nine of A-League with a 5-1-1 record and 16 points next to their name, which puts them two points adrift of Sydney FC who are leading the title race with 6-0-1 and 18 points. In regards to their last five, City defeated Western United (2:1), Wellington Phoenix (3:2), Central Coast Mariners (3:1), but dropped the ball against Brisbane Roar (3:4) in round six. City managed to bounce back with a close win against WS Wanderers (3:2) before a bye week and will look to make it two in a row here.
Looking back at City’s meeting with WS Wanderers, we expected more from Mombaerts and his men, who just barely squeezed by the hosts with a late 90’+2 goal. The said fixture started with an early goal from WS Wanderers who scored the game opener in the second minute, which was also the only goal of the first half. While the first 45 minutes failed to produce more than one goal, the second half saw both teams much more active.
Melbourne City responded with an equalizer in 56th minute to which they added another goal in the 73rd minute. Despite suffering two goals in quick succession, WS Wanderers had a response ready with Yeboah scoring his second in the 80th minute. It all seemed like the match will end 2-all, until Mclaren stepped up once more for his team and scored a goal in 90’+2 to help City edge past WS Wanderers. Melbourne City ended the match with 64% ball possession, seven goal attempts and two shots on goal, while WS Wanderers produced five goal attempts and three shots on goal with 36% ball possession.
As we see it, the two sides performed equally well and in all fairness, WS Wanderers deserved at least a point from that bout. That being said, Mclaren had other plans and clutched the game with an incredible goal in the stoppage time of the last half.
Perth descend to the bottom of the league
Perth Glory started the 2019/20 season with two stalemates with Brisbane Roar (1:1) and Western United (1:1), to which they added a 2:1 win against Wellington Phoenix. From there onwards, however, everything went downhill for Perth, who have found themselves in a four-game slump. Perth will enter their bout with Melbourne City with a 0-1-3 after losing to CCM (1:2), drawing with Newcastle Jets (1:1) and losing the next two against Sydney FC (1:3) and Melbourne Victory last week (0:1).
In regards to their meeting with Melbourne Victory, Perth Glory put up a shockingly good display, yet still ended up short. The first and only goal of the match came in the 33rd minute when Kruse scored his first goal for Victory. Being one goal down, Perth Glory entered the second half with all guns blazing and completely outplayed the hosts. However, despite having 64% ball possession and 18 goal attempts Perth produced only three shots on goal. Suffice to say Perth failed to find a way to equalize the match as they had to settle with their third defeat of the season and second in a row.
Perth Glory ended the match with 64% ball possession and shot the ball 4/22, which includes two shots that hit the woodwork. That being said, 10 of the shots were blocked. Victory on the other side ended the match with 36% ball possession and shot the ball 3/11. All things considered, Perth impressed with what they have shown and should arguably walk away from the bout with all three points. That said, luck was not on their side that day and they had to make peace with the fact they lost their second in a row.
Verdict & Prediction
In the previous two head-to-head bouts, Melbourne Victory and Perth Glory produced stalemates (0:0 and 2:2), which suggests teams match up nicely. Their most recent match (2:2) came in March 2019, when Maclaren scored two for City, while Chianese and Castro scored one each for Perth.
Since then, a lot has changed, most notably the arrival of Fornaroli to Perth. While he has not been as dominant as in his glory days at City (two goals this season), we believe this fixture will bring out the best out of him. Seeing players play against their former side is always intriguing and considering Fornaroli was let go because he was not “good enough” for City should spark some added motivation for him to perform and prove his former employer wrong. Perth played very well in their last bout with Victory and even put up solid resistance against Sydney last week. As we see it, if they manage to put up a similar display here, we believe Perth just might produce an upset.
Prediction: Perth Glory +0.00 Asian Handicap
Odds: 2.54 Pinnacle