Moldova v Iceland – EURO 2020

Moldova v Iceland - EURO 2020 Betting Preview and Prediction

Moldova v Iceland - EURO 2020 Betting Preview and Prediction

Moldova v Iceland – EURO 2020 Betting Preview and Prediction

Moldova and Iceland will meet this Sunday, November 17 at Stadionul Zimbru in Moldova in what will be a do-or-die fixture for Iceland, who are chasing a position in playoffs, which they would be guaranteed to achieve if they win. Moldova’s chances to claim anything in these qualifiers on the other side are long gone.

 

Iceland eyeing a playoffs position

Iceland are flying over to Moldova with an impressive 5-1-3 record and 16 points to their name. While they failed to claim a top-two seed in group H, their dreams of making it into EURO 2020 are far from over. In fact, Iceland’s ticket to the tournament is at arm’s reach, seeing how they could be guaranteed a spot in the qualifiers playoffs is they claim all three points against Moldova.

Looking back at Iceland’s last five fixtures, the Vikings crushed Moldova at home 3:0, lost to both Albania (4:2) and France (0:1), defeated Andorra (2:0) and drew their most recent fixture against Turkey (0:0), which was a huge result for Iceland and their ambitions to make it to the EURO 2020. In regards of that fixture, Iceland seems to be playing exceptionally well and some would even say they are playing at their peak performance. Seeing how they managed to grab a point from Turkey in Istanbul is a positive result in our books and a very promising one ahead of their last fixture of qualifiers. While they had only 41% ball possession and their shooting was far from perfect (1/9), we are confident if Iceland can produce the same performance here, they should have a fairly easy time defeating Moldova, a team they already took down at the start of September (3:0).

 

Moldova looking for their second win of qualifier

Moldova failed to impress throughout EURO 2020 qualifiers and to be completely fair, we did not expect much from them to begin with. They will be entering the 10th and final fixture of qualifiers with a dismissal 1-0-8 record and a -21 GD, which paints a clear picture of how well, or in this case how poorly Engin Fırat’s men performed.

Looking back Moldova lost all of their last five fixtures in group H, which includes a 3:0 defeat against Iceland, 0:4 against Turkey, 1:0 against Andorra, Albania 0:4 and most recently France 2:1. In regards to their clash with France, it would be easy to praise Moldova for finishing the match 2:1, however, the reality is that France played very poorly. While it’s worth noting Moldova did put up a very solid performance, the final result should have looked much worse if France played at least half-decent. In their meeting with France, Moldova had 27% ball possession and shot the ball 1/2. France on the other side had 73% ball possession and shot the ball 5/17.

 

Verdict & Prediction

While it’s easy to imagine Moldova will enjoy an advantage here, seeing how they are playing at home, we have to address they have won only once in front of their home fans and even that was a close 1:0 win against Andorra, so it’s safe to say the home ground advantage won’t do them any good here. Iceland will arrive in Moldova without Alfred Finnbogason, but we don’t see that as a huge issue. In the first leg, we saw Moldova struggle to match Iceland’s direct attacking approach and there is no reason to believe that will change this Sunday. This will be a must-win fixture for Iceland, who we trust won’t try to risk anything. Expect another dominant win from the Vikings, who showed enough in recent weeks to make us believe they are more than capable of repeating their 3:0 win over Moldova.

 

Prediction: Iceland -1.00 Asian Handicap
Odds: 1.83 Matchbook