Scotland will host the Czech Republic at Hampden Park on Monday, June 14, in their EURO 2020 opener. These two last met in Glasgow in October 2020, when the hosts won 1-0, albeit it was a very tight affair that should have ended in favour of the Czech, who will look to improve upon their showings this afternoon.
Scotland vs Czech Republic
Where: Hampden Park in Glasgow, Scotland
When: Monday, June 14 – 14:00 BST
Weather: Partly Sunny, 14°C
Referee: Daniel Siebert (GER)
Scotland will look to extend their head-to-head record with the Czech Republic to 4-0 after they’ve already beaten Jaroslav Šilhavý’s men once at home and twice on the road.
Last time out, Czech Republic were the better team but failed to secure a W. The last time the Czech won in Glasgow was in 1999, having since lost two and drew one match at Hampden Park.
Scotland are Back
By qualifying for EURO 2020, Scotland have made it to their first major football tournament in 23 years, thanks to Aleksandar Mitrovic’s missed penalty in Scotland’s game against Serbia. The last time we saw them compete at an event of this magnitude was back in 1988 when the Tartan Army attended the World Cup in Germany.
Scotland enter their EURO 2020 opener without a single defeat in their last five outings. That run includes three draws against Austria (2-2), Israel (1-1), and Netherlands (2-2), as well as two victories against the Faroe Islands (4-0) and Luxemburg (1-0).
In the remaining five games, dating back to October 2020, the Scots lost to Israel (0-1) and Slovakia (0-1), but won against Serbia (2-1), Slovakia (1-0), and their next opponents, the Czech Republic (1-0).
With that win, Scotland is 3-0 up in the head-to-head with the Czech. That includes a 2-1 victory in the reverse fixture back in September 2020.
Boasting a strong head-to-head record would suggest the Scots are rightfully priced as the favourites for this match. That said, the Czech have shown growth over the last few months and have – unlike Scotland – earned direct qualification for EURO 2020.
Jaroslav Šilhavý’s Men Can Have Their Moments
Jaroslav Šilhavý’s men enter this match priced as an underdog, which might make sense, considering they are 0-3 with Scotland across their last three meetings. However, that doesn’t take away from the Czech Republic’s strong showings across the last few months.
The Locomotive are 5-1-4 in their last 10, having beaten Israel (2-1, 1-0), Slovakia (2-0), Estonia (6-2), and Albania (3-1). Adding to that, the Czech lost to Scotland (0-1), Germany (0-1), Wales (0-1), and Italy (0-4), but forced a very impressive 1-1 draw against Belgium back in March.
In that game, the Czech team proved they have a highly talented roster that can take on anyone. They might not be the best team at the tournament, but the Czech can be a very potent underdog.
Scotland vs Czech Republic Betting Picks
Scotland will enjoy home advantage for this match, which definitely means something, especially considering that Steve Clarke’s men are unbeaten at Hampden Park across their last eight outings.
That said, the Scots haven’t beaten anyone of note during that stretch. Their only two notable results across their last eight home games include a 2-2 draw against Austria at the end of March and a narrow 1-0 victory against the Czech Republic in October 2020.
It’s important to note that the Czech were a much better team the last time out. They had 68% ball possession and shot the ball 6/16. The hosts, on the other side, had 32% ball possession and shot the ball 1/5.
Not to sound biased, but it was an utterly undeserved win for Clarke’s side. The visitors seem heavily underestimated at the offered odds, and we’re ready to take a shot with them.
Prediction: Czech Republic +0.00 Asian Handicap (same as Draw no Bet) – 2.06 at Pinnacle
For premium bets, check out our premium membership, where you will be able to see what else we’re betting on today. For the duration of EURO 2020, we’re offering a discount for all new premium members – more information HERE.